Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Am I Alive Today Because of Dolly Parton?

  Dolly Parton gave a lot of money toward the development of the Moderna vaccine. I've had three doses of the Moderna vaccine. I've been closely exposed to people who had COVID. I didn't catch the disease. I might be alive today because of Dolly Parton.

Which is cool in some ways, because she's kind of awesome. But also, public health research shouldn't have to depend on rich people choosing to be awesome as she so chooses. Tax rates should be high enough that all levels of government collect enough taxes to fund necessary public health for all people.
Dolly Parton is awesome, but our survival shouldn't depend not wealthy people taking her as a role model and not using their wealth to build phallic rockets. Income and wealth should be taxed highly enough that no one accumulates billions, and public goods are well funded.

No comments:

Post a Comment