Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A manifesto of sorts, I guess

I am frustrated with both those who identify themselves as conservative and those who identify themselves as progressive who seem to insist on identifying the liturgical and theological events (and, for that matter, some of the geopolitical and cultural events also) of the 1960s and 70s (and their continuation toward this day) as a rupture with the previous tradition of the Church rather than its development. I struggle with those who think that commandments of the law, prophets, writings, and Gospel can be conserved without making progress toward the reign of God just I struggle with those who think progress toward a better world is possible without being firmly rooted in the traditions of the law, prophets, writings, and Gospel we have received.

I cherish the music of St. Gregory the Great and the St. Louis Jesuits; Marty Haugan and David Haas and SS. John and Charles Wesley; Rory Cooney and J.S. Bach; Gregory Norbet and Michael Joncas and St. Ambrose and St. Francis.

I reject any vision of progress that is not firmly rooted in the tradition we have received and I reject any vision of our tradition that does not demand progress toward a world of inclusion, justice, mercy, humility, peace, and love. Any effort to drive a wedge between "tradition" and "progress" as if either were possible without the other seems to me to be doomed to dystopian failure.</rant>

No comments:

Post a Comment